Thursday 30 October 2014

Rebecca Thomson- Cape Town


When I was first told about the trip to South Africa 18 months ago, I was instantly drawn to it, but it was a complete different experience to what I expected when I got there. It has been life-changing, literally.



I had my doubts about coming, I was scared of flying, scared of being away from home, scared of being with people I didn't really know that well, but they were worries that looking back now, I had no reason to worry about. Here I have met so many new friends, my confidence has grown so much for someone who is quite shy and I now feel I can do so much more! 



Teaching in the primary school was one of the best experiences of my life, I have never seen a group of people I've never seen before be so welcoming. Teaching art, my favourite subject, was such a privilege, and I cried so much having to leave. I have never felt so close to a group of people I have only been with for 4 days.  



Seeing everything we have seen, in the school, the township, to just people at the side of the road, has made me appreciate everything we have in our life, and that we are the lucky ones, people are still so happy though they have near to nothing and we should take something from that.



On this trip, i have learned one thing most, that I an stronger than I think, I never thought I could do some of the things I did on this trip, especially abseiling down table mountain, I'm scared of heights, so it was a big deal, but I did it and I've never been so proud, I smiled the rest of the day!



Thank you for everything, to the teachers, the rest of the people in the group and everyone in Cape town who have been so welcoming!
Rebecca Thomson, group 2 :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Us!

Keep Updated with all the News on Balwearie High School's link with Welcome Primary in Cape Town.