Thursday 30 October 2014

Murdy's Blog


Astonishing is a word like thunderstorm or incredible that sits flat on the page compared with the actual experience it tries to name. I thought I understood it then I went to South Africa. (I have plagiarised some of this introduction from an article I read in the last few days but it suits my feelings and emotions so I don’t mind.)



Table Mountain, abseiling, whales and seeing the ‘Big Five’ were wonderful but they seem insignificant to our other experiences. The emotional and social experience of visiting the Langa Township, helping and taking part with the kids at the GCU project and being in the Welcome Primary School in Heideveld was really astonishing. The pupils had so much energy and enthusiasm for us being there it was very humbling and a real honour to be among them when we seem to have so much and they have so little. The staff also welcomed us with such generosity setting up a ‘home made’ feast for us every day and allowing us to destroy their plans for their classes. They really enjoyed seeing our youngsters teach their pupils and sometimes allowed us to stay on teaching for a long time!



Mario’s hospitality at his house in the township also gave us all a unique and very much fun experience at a ‘Braii’ and Mario and his wife Michelle very generously gave every one of us a present at the end of the night. Such generosity is beyond words.



Now that we are back I am eager to get going on Balwearie’s link with Welcome primary and Mario’s GCU. As I can’t think of a more worthy experience for both our and their pupils. I am looking forward to working with the 15 pupils who we accompanied on the trip to try to make things happen (along with the other 16 pupils in the first group). It has been a real privilege to be with our fantastic pupils for the 12 days. I owe them a lot. Go CapetowniANTS!



What will I remember most about the Trip? Easy – the astonishing, amazing PEOPLE whether South African or Scottish.  Thank you all.

Mrs Murdoch a.k.a Murdy

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Us!

Keep Updated with all the News on Balwearie High School's link with Welcome Primary in Cape Town.