Thursday 30 October 2014

Anna Fong - Cape Town Experience

Honestly, words cannot explain the experience that I have had during the last ten days in Cape Town with Team Blue.



Firstly, and I know everyone in this group is thinking it, I wish we had more time to spend in South Africa with each other and the children. The ten days have gone by so quick yet it feels like we've been here for much longer.

It's crazy to think that all of this started two years ago with our third year selfs being told about this link and being interviewed. I was gutted when I found out I wasn't going but luckily, six months before October 2014, I was called out of maths to go to Guckin's office and was offered the chance to go!



I'm glad that we still managed to make this like a holiday as we did amazing touristy things like Table Mountain, Aquila Safari, banter filled buses, high tea with Mols, Gem, Rikke, Leon, Airlie and Guckin, and the list goes on and on. There has not been one night that we've had together that has not been filled with laughter and so many jokes and new songs have been created between us all.

A lot of this journey has been so life changing for all of us, especially me, as I have now gained a lot more confidence than I had before and now I've seen the townships in real life and the conditions that a lot of people have to live in. It just showed me how much we take things for granted while they have close to nothing but are still the happiest and nicest people ever.



Although we were only at Welcome Primary for four days, one of them being the farewell, I feel as though I have managed to find new friends, and the children at both Welcome and Woodlands are the most amazing kids ever. I hope some of the kids' ambitions come true as many told me that they wanted to be doctors, although one told me she wanted to be a mermaid... The farewell was really emotional, almost everyone was crying their eyes out. I cried for a bit although I soon ran out of tears. I am so grateful for Mr Jacobs allowing Balwearie to create this amazing link which I hope will continue for a long time.

Mario and his friends have done so well at organising GCU for all the kids, which was a lot of fun with all the different activities. Mario and his wife, Michelle, are also terrific and so lovely and have done a fantastic job at helping their local community and within three hours they managed to make me feel like I was a part of their family.





I have talked with those I never used to talk to on this trip and have definitely created amazingly new friendships with them and become even closer with those I do talk to. If we swapped people on this trip with those who didn't get to go, it would still be the greatest thing ever but nothing could ever compare to everyone who is on Team Blue!

Murdy, Boothy and Airlie have been absolutely the best people to have joined the Capetoniants! I truly would not change them for any other teacher.

Guckin has also been incredible! We are all so thankful that he decided to introduce Balwearie to a link with Welcome Primary otherwise none of us would be here to help create something special for us. He didn't even have to share his former school Larbert's link with us to do something similar but he did. Guckin, you are an absolutely inspiring person and I have no idea what to say, other than thank you so so so much for allowing thirty-seven members of Balwearie to travel all this way to do something you have been doing for an amazing six years.



I could still keep writing to try and explain my experience but whatever words I'd use would still not compare to what this whole thing was actually like.

I will never forget this trip nor will I forget the most extraordinary people, 18 CapetoniANTS, Guckin, Mr Jacobs, Welcome Primary and Mario, who have been involved. Team Blue has started to become like a small family to me (love you all!)



Biggest thanks to all of you as this has been the greatest time of my life ever. 

#TIA #NTS #BBB


Anna, Group 2 

P.S. I have lost count of how many times I have hurt myself on this trip whether it was punching myself in the face, banging my head on multiple things in multiple places all over SA or many other stupid ways of hurting yourself. #clumsy 
...also after writing this blog I managed to fall off my suitcase in the airport in Cape Town and land on the floor in the middle of check-in

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Us!

Keep Updated with all the News on Balwearie High School's link with Welcome Primary in Cape Town.