Friday 31 October 2014

Leon Haig - My Cape Town Experience

  
 

This trip has been brilliant! From start to finish I believe I have changed both emotionally and mentally for ever. The whole trip, and all the people involved, have made it the perfect and the best experience of my life so far. One of the major highlights of this trip was meeting all the fantastic pupils and staff of Welcome primary school. 



Not knowing us and acting so welcoming when we first met them brought a warm feeling to us, the likes of which I have never felt before. Yet another life changing experience was working with the GCU, an organisation created by Mario to better the lives of kids within the Heideveld township. The GCU provides opportunities for kids to do sports, dance, and other activities to keep them off the streets and on the right path. I particularly enjoyed playing and supporting the children at baseball while attending the GCU. 



   I would also like to give a special thanks to Mr McGuckin for giving us such a breathtaking experience that little others could offer. I wouldn't often say this but Mr McGuckin has really gave me, and I'm sure others feel the same, something that we will cherish and remember till the day we die. 



   When I get back to Scotland I am very much looking forward to building up the link between Balwearie and Welcome primary school through the years to come. I hope to achieve this both through Balwearie high school and through my own initiative. Yet another issue I wish to address back home is the false portrait that the media paints of the culture and life that exists in South Africa.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Us!

Keep Updated with all the News on Balwearie High School's link with Welcome Primary in Cape Town.