Monday 3 November 2014

Katie Haldane - My Cape Town Experience


Before I write a mile long paragraph about my absolutely mind blowing Cape Town experience, I just want to say: there are literally no words that can express how hard-hitting and life changing this trip has been, but I am obliged to try and find some......!




First of all, each and every one of the people that I have spent the last 10 days with are unexplainably amazing. The 14 other Captoniants have become family to me. I couldn't have wished for better people to enjoy this experience with, they made it fun and extremely emotional! Second of all, Boothy, Airlie and Murdy genuinely blew me away with their enthusiasm, humour and shape cutting! Everything I have done in the past 10 days, (which has been A LOT) I have done with these people. It is literally impossible to explain how attached I feel to these people after spending every waking moment with them for so long. I have done so many incredible things and been on so many wonderful adventures, and to share these experiences with the team has made them even better. I have done things -such as abseil table mountain, go on safari and go whale watching- that hardly any other 15 year olds can say they have done, and it makes me feel unimaginably thankful to have been given this opportunity. 



The best part of this trip has undoubtedly been visiting Welcome Primary and the Langa Township. The kids at Welcome have literally changed my life through their attitude towards their own lives. To see children who live in poverty be so happy about what little they have has done absolutely unexplainable things to my own attitude towards life. It honestly boggles my mind trying to find words to describe these kids and their teachers! Saying goodbye to them has been one of the hardest things I've ever had to do, I have never cried so much in my life! 3 days is all it took to become so attached to the Welcome Primary kids, but I know that they will always be in my heart! 



The township tour was crazy. We visited houses, smaller than my bedroom, where families of 12 stayed. We got a real look into what poverty is and how it effects people. The day in the Langa Township changed my outlook on life.



Now for McGuck. He is the man responsible for all of this emotion evoked in all of us! I don't think it's possible to thank him enough for this entire experience, if it wasn't for him none of us would be here. He's the king of sarcasm and the emperor ant, but he also happens to be the most inspiring person I've met. It sounds beyond cheesy but I can't put into words everything that McGuck and the rest of the team have done for me. I have had the time of my life and it's all down to Guckin, so thankyou! 




Finally, Mario. What a man he is. Him an his wife Michelle are the most selfless people I have ever met. Together they do the most incredible things for their community, and I am honoured to have played a part in helping them make a difference. They taught me to stay strong and never, ever give up on yourself or others. Their kindness amazed me, and their love for all of us blew me away. I can't thank them both enough for letting me be a part of their lives. 



So there you have it, a summary of how Cape Town has been for me. I still don't think that anything I wrote manages to express what this trip has been like. Every single part of it has been wonderful, from abseiling, to whale watching, to absolutely brilliANT bus banter. Cape Town has truly become a piece of me that I will never forget. 



Thankyou capetoniANTS. Thankyou Boothy, Murdy and Airlie. Thankyou Mario, and from the bottom of my heart, thankyou McGuck for taking us home, driving all night and keeping us warm........your work has changed my life. 

#nts 
Katie Haldane

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Us!

Keep Updated with all the News on Balwearie High School's link with Welcome Primary in Cape Town.