Friday 31 October 2014

Karolina Damaszk - My Cape Town Experience

Oh ya mate!


 
There is really no way of describing how life changing this whole experience has been. These past 10 days have been the best days of my life. 


 
If someone was to ask me "How was Cape Town?" There wouldn't be a way that I could explain how I am feeling right now after spending a day of saying good bye to our friends at Welcome and reflecting on this whole experience. Of course the easiest answer would be that it was amazing but I truly don't think that 'amazing' describes all the feelings in my heart at this very second. 



 
Let me start of with all the tourist stuff we did. Seeing Robben Island,  Table Mountain, the Water Front has made me fall in love with Cape Town. It's beauty and the life in it has made it so much harder for me to say good bye as I have never been to or seen anything like Cape Town. There is one sentence that I have seen a lot driving around Cape Town and it says:    "You don't need a holiday, you need Cape Town"
I really cannot put it better myself, no holiday can compare with what I have experienced in Cape Town. 


 
Visiting Welcome Primary School, working with GCU and going on a Langa township tour has made me appreciate the things that I have so much more as I got to see that people have to live in little huts made out of scrap metal just so they can have a roof over their head. It made me realise how silly I have been by complaining about the littlest things when people even in countries so developed like South Africa still don't have access to running water. I truly think that after experiencing and seeing with my own eyes, not just through photos or videos, how unequal the world is I will try and help out those in need. 


 
As for Welcome, well I would've never imagined how much I would grow to love all the children and staff there.  Each and every one of the amazing children and staff that I had the honour of spending my days with at Welcome have become very important  people to me. With really very few resources at hand, and not much money, they have managed to make such a difference in other people's lives just through love and determination. Every one of those kids have dreams and goals that they want to fulfill and want to stick to which is so inspiring to me as they never give up. There have been so many moments where I just wanted to give up, but people like the kids and staff at Welcome or Mario and his wife Michelle, have shown me that you can't ever give up as you can always reach your goals if you work hard. 


 
Oh Mario, after hearing McGuck talk about how amazing and incredible he is I was expecting so much and really I wasn't at all surprised when I saw the masses of people coming to Woodlands just to work with GCU and do things like football, extreme skipping, soft ball and baseball. I really cannot believe a person would set up a non profit organisation   just to keep young people out of trouble and off the streets. It is hard to imagine just how kind hearted Mario is because after spending only a few days with him  I have grown to love him so much. Although he may not love us as much as we have embarrassed him in front of a mass of people at table mountain by serenading him with a few songs (sorry, not sorry). 
 
As to Boothy, Airlie and Murdy, well there is no way I could explain how mind blowing it was to be able to spend these 12 days with them. From walking around airports, to hiking up mountains, to making sure we don't pass out from heat exhaustion they have been the most caring, funny and enthusiastic people on this trip. From singing along to songs to cutting  some shapes on the buses they have never failed to put a smile on my face even when I thought I was going to pass out from deoxygenation. I have become so attached to them that it'll feel weird having breakfast with no one telling me to put sun spray on or walking through town with no one telling me the 'interesting' facts about everything and anything we can see. I would just really like to thank the three wonderful teachers for being patient with us, helping me with everything and just being part of the Capetoniants. 
 
My dear Capetoniants, thank you so much for this experience because to be honest I wouldn't want to be with anyone else. That is all I have to say as I have no words for how amazing you guys are. I love you guys. 


 
Now for Mcguck. I really cannot describe how thankful I am for all that he has done for us, without him I wouldn't be here and without him this link between Welcome and Balwearie wouldn't exist. Although I may not say it out loud because I am not one to tell others how I feel (so it's pretty hard writing this) but I honestly think he is the most inspiring person that I know as he has worked so hard from the very beginning and probably stressed himself out a lot but never has he complained about anything. I just really cannot put into words how happy I am that he made all of this possible for me and the other 14 people that have come on this trip. Although he is very sarcastic  and thinks he's funny (but isn't!) he has been so kind and encouraging to us all and for that  I don't know what to say. Thank you Mcguck for all that you have done for us, these 12 days have been the best days of my life and I will never forget them. 



 
Thank you to all the people reading this blog. You make people aware of this link and by that you are helping us make a change.
 
So there it is a summary of how Cape Town has been for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Us!

Keep Updated with all the News on Balwearie High School's link with Welcome Primary in Cape Town.